Look, let's talk cash first cause that's what we all actually care about.
I've been buying Pro iPhones since the 11 Pro. Every September my DMs blow up. Same question from my boys in New York and LA - "Bro should I buy the 17 Pro now that it's cheap or wait for 18 Pro?"
So I dug through all the BS. I only trust 2-3 guys who are actually right. Ming-Chi Kuo, Jeff Pu, and that
1. Price in USA - This Will Make You Mad
iPhone 17 Pro price right now is a steal.
It launched at $999 for 128GB and $1099 for 256GB back in Sept 2025. But right now in August 2026? Man you can find it for $879 at Best Buy no trade-in. If you trade in with T-Mobile or Verizon you can get it for like $599. I saw a dude on Reddit got it for $499 with his old 13 Pro. That's crazy value.
Now iPhone 18 Pro price USA? Yeah it's gonna sting.
According to the latest tech supply chain data, Apple is getting hit hard by
So what are we looking at? Most reliable leakers like Jeff Pu from GF Securities said Apple will add $100 to $200 to the baseline. So the iPhone 18 Pro price USA for the base 256GB will likely start at $1099 or even $1199. Tom's Guide also confirmed the same thing in their recent leak.
And if you want 1TB? My supply chain source told me close to $1599 or $1649. That's laptop money bro.
If you're ballin on a budget, the iPhone 17 Pro price drop 2026 makes it win hands down. You save $300 and can grab AirPods Pro 3 with the leftover cash.
2. Performance - A20 Pro vs A18 Pro - Do You Even Feel It?
Okay quick nerd talk, 60 seconds I promise.
17 Pro runs that A18 Pro chip (3nm). It's already stupid fast with 8GB RAM. I play COD Warzone Mobile on max graphics for 2 hours, phone gets warm but never drops frames.
18 Pro is getting that new A20 Pro chip. This is the first 2nm chip ever in a smartphone. Ever. According to MacRumors and TechTimes, it's about 15% faster and like 25-30% more efficient. That's huge for battery life.
Plus Apple is bumping it to 12GB RAM. Not for Instagram. It's for Apple Intelligence. All that AI stuff runs on your phone now, not cloud, so it needs heavy RAM.
But real talk? You gonna notice scrolling TikTok? Hell no. I had my 16 Pro and 17 Pro side by side, opened 20 apps including Lightroom and CapCut, both opened instantly. Same damn speed.
So who wins? On paper A20 Pro wins. In real life? Both are overkill. You won't get lag for 5 years with either. Don't buy the new iPhone 18 Pro just for the chip upgrade.
3. Camera - Variable Aperture - The ONLY Reason To Upgrade
Okay THIS is where it actually gets good. This is why I'm kinda hyped.
17 Pro camera is amazing. 48MP main sensor fixed at f/1.78. Portrait blur? All fake software. Sometimes it cuts your hair weird, you know what I'm talking about.
18 Pro tho? It's finally getting a variable aperture camera like a real professional DSLR.
According to Ming-Chi Kuo's report and Digital Chat Station on Weibo, Apple is testing a mechanical iris that moves from f/1.4 to f/2.8 on the main 48MP sensor. PetaPixel also confirmed Mark Gurman said the same.
What you get from that? Real optical bokeh, not fake software blur. Way cleaner night shots. When I shoot downtown at night my 17 Pro blows out all the lights. Variable aperture fixes that cause it can actually close down.
And the 5x telephoto is also getting a bigger aperture, so zoom at night won't be blurry garbage anymore. GSMArena said this will be Pro exclusive at first.
If you're a content creator, YouTuber, or TikToker who films content all day? Yeah bro that camera upgrade alone might be worth the extra cash.
If you just take pics of your dog and food? Save your money, trust me. 17 Pro is more than enough.
4. Design, Display, Battery - Small But Nice
Both are 6.3 inch OLED 120Hz LTPO. Both titanium. Put a case on you can't tell.
But 2 small things:
Dynamic Island is smaller on 18 Pro. According to leaks, Apple finally moved Face ID under display. Not fully invisible yet, but smaller. I like that a lot, more screen.
Colors hit different. 17 Pro has Black, White, Blue Titanium. 18 Pro is getting Dark Cherry Red, Mocha Brown, and Silver. I saw renders of that Cherry on PhoneArena, that color looks sick.
Modem. 17 Pro uses Qualcomm X75. 18 Pro uses Apple C2 modem, their own in-house tech. Better 5G, less battery drain, better satellite SOS. If you road trip out West where there's zero signal, that matters.
Battery? 17 Pro gives me 7-8 hours screen on time easy. 18 Pro should give like 1 hour more cause of 2nm + C2 modem. Not huge, but nice.
Charging still slow af. 27W wired. Apple don't care. Don't expect 100W like OnePlus.
5. So Which One Should YOU Buy? My Final Call
Get iPhone 17 Pro if you want best bang for your buck, you found a sweet carrier deal, you have iPhone 14 or 15, you want a phone that lasts 5 years without dropping $1200. This is the smart money move, I told my brother to get this.
Get iPhone 18 Pro if you have iPhone 13 or older, you're a camera nerd, you make money from videos, and you wanna keep phone for 6 years. Then yeah wait for it.
Got 17 Pro already? Do NOT upgrade. I'm serious, don't throw money away. Hold out for iPhone 19 or 20. I have 17 Pro and I'm skipping, no joke.
FAQ - People Always Ask Me This
When is iPhone 18 Pro release date? Around Sept 9th 2026. Apple always does early Sept. Preorder that Friday, stores next Friday. Like clockwork.
Is iPhone 18 Pro worth it over 17 Pro? Only if you care about camera a LOT. For 95% people, 17 Pro is still a beast in 2026 and saves you hundreds.
Will 17 Pro get cheaper when 18 drops? Oh 100% yes. Apple will drop official to $899 and carriers will sell for $599 or less with trade-in. Best time to buy 17 Pro is right after 18 launch.
Does 18 Pro have better battery? Barely. Maybe one extra hour screen time thanks to 2nm chip, but don't buy just for battery.
Look at end of day, get what fits your wallet, not what ads tell you. My two cents as a guy who hates wasting money.
What you rocking this year? 17 Pro or waiting for 18 Pro? Drop comment, I reply to everyone.
Related Posts


0 Comments